Friday, August 19, 2016

Welltop 8x42 Binoculars Review and Comparison



WHAT'S INCLUDED?
o Binoculars
o Lens Caps
o Neck Strap
o Owners Manual

FEATURES

o Water resistant
o 8x42
o Rubber exterior
o Fogproof
o Weight is 1 lb 5 oz (with eye lens covers and neck strap)


IS 8x MAGNIFICATION RIGHT FOR YOU?
I used my rangefinder to find the yardage, or distance, of several objects up the street. The most obvious was a vehicle parked 232 yards away. I focused in on that. You can see the picture that I took with each binoculars through my phone. The clarity is comparable in the pictures, but I would take them with a grain of salt either way. The eye lenses are dialed in for my eyes, not for a cell phone camera. What I want to show is the difference in magnification and the size of the picture.

The magnification is obviously going to be greater with a 10x than an 8x binocular like this one. On the flip side, the picture is larger with the 8x binoculars. If you are viewing items that are closer (maybe 150 yards), the larger picture of the 8x42 is probably what you want. If you are viewing things at a longer distance, the 10x is nice. The larger the magnification though, the more the picture will shake. Any larger than 10x magnification without some sort of stand or tripod is tough to keep steady.

TEST:

It took these binoculars from inside to outside to test these against my Redfield Rebel 10x42 optics. Those are much more expensive, so I wasn't expecting a "fair fight". The first thing I noticed was that the Redfield binoculars fogged up...bad. It was very humid out and I continuously wiped the lenses. It took about 10 minutes for the lenses to quit fogging up. In fairness, the Redfield binoculars are waterproof and the Wellltop are not.

Now on to the test. I noticed that the clarity was surprising good with this set of binoculars. I was hoping they would be "good enough" but I was very pleased in that respect. The weight of the binoculars was very similar. As I mentioned, the other binoculars were initially foggy, but these from Welltop were not at all. One difference I noticed was that the light transmission (i.e. brightness of the picture) was a bit less with the Welltop binoculars. It might be hard for most to notice though unless you compared them side-by-side. Light transmission is a factor if you are viewing objects in low light conditions like dusk and dawn.

CONCLUSION:

Overall, I was surprised with how good the quality of these binoculars. The clarity is very good, particularly for this price point. If you plan to use these for long periods of time, I would suggest upgrading the strap that goes around your neck. Otherwise, it's hard to argue with this being a great value!






FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) DISCLAIMER:
I received this product at a discounted price for purposes of testing and reviewing. However, the opinions expressed herein were formulated based on my personal use of the product. I welcome all suggestions, feedback and/or product questions!

No comments: