Friday, April 12, 2019

Tree Protection: Tree Tubes vs Caging/Fencing Trees

A double post day!


There are several tree protection methods from deer, rodents, livestock, rabbits, and other wildlife. Find out the pros and cons of tree tubes and fencing / caging trees in this video!

𝐌𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐝 𝟏 Tree Pro Tree Tubes (60") - Pack of 25 - https://amzn.to/2DfctKF Pack of 5 - https://amzn.to/2VOCXd2 Weed Mat (w/ Garden Staples) 5' Electrical conduit for stake 𝐌𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐝 𝟐 Concrete Remesh or Woven Wire Fence with T-posts Weed Mats (w/ Garden Staples) Aluminum Window Screen


If you spend time and money to plant fruit trees, you need to make sure they're protected from wildlife. When young, trees are vulnerable. In this video, I discuss the steps I take to protect them from mice, voles, rabbits, deer, cattle and goats. On part of my property, I have cattle and goats. On that parcel, I use t-posts to secure the fencing. I used a combination of woven wire and concrete remesh, because I had them leftover from planting last year. I prefer remesh due to it's rigidity, but either will work with proper staking. You could also use rebar (or tobacco sticks) for staking remesh (if cattle are present I use t-posts though).

No comments: