Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Oregon Felling Wedge, #23565

Available on Amazon by clicking HERE


I wanted to do some chainsaw work at my farm to improve habitat for deer, rabbits, birds, etc. I put together a big-picture plan for trails, funnels, edge feathering, etc. However, before getting to work, I ordered 2 Oregon wedges (#236565). They come with a tab that you cut off along the indicated line. The top side of the wedge is smooth and the bottom is serrated. The serrated edge helps prevent the wedge from slipping, or being squeezed, out of the tree.


The wedges hold up better than I anticipated. They aren't going to last forever, but they are more durable than I thought. I carry along quite a few supplies with me to do this work. Well, I forgot my hammer one day. I had to use a rock I picked up to hammer the wedge in. It wasn't ideal, but it worked. Not much deformation at all (see picture).

Another time I got my saw wedged in a honey locust tree. I had to use the wedges to free the saw. Once the saw was free, I had to slice a bit of the wedge to fell the tree. The reason I mention this is that these wedges were designed for this very scenario. In cases where the wedge contacts the chain, it doesn't damage it. If you know you aren't going to ever contact the wedge, you can buy steel wedges, which will last much longer. However, you will tear your chain up severely if you contact a steel wedge.I don't know if there's much difference between Oregon and other brand wedges, but I know I am satisfied with this wedge. If I can answer any questions about it, just let me know.


Available on Amazon by clicking HERE





No comments: